Together We Accomplished Great Things in 2017
This year, patients and their families, Scripps employees, dedicated community members and noted philanthropists came together to support our tax-exempt health system. Their gifts contributed to innovative new technologies, equipment and research. They helped us fulfill vital patient support services like our nurse navigators, social workers and nutritional counselors. And they helped sustain our founding mission to serve the health needs of our ever-growing community.
To celebrate these accomplishments and help meet the greatest needs in our community in 2018, we invite you to join your family, friends and neighbors in our mission to serve the health needs of our community.
- We advanced medical research into replacing brain cells destroyed by Parkinson’s disease with healthy, new brain cells with the goal to give patients the chance to live a normal life.
- Scripps researchers created the first lab-grown cartilage that cushions the knee joint, a major step forward to halt the progress of chronic osteoarthritis.
- Our surgeons were the first in the West to use revolutionary new robotic-guided technology to perform delicate spinal fusions.
- Our 26 patient centers managed more than 1.6 million patient visits.
- We cared for more than 4,500 patients facing life-threatening illness or injury in our two trauma centers.
- Our medical teams performed more than 100,000 heart procedures in our state-of-the-art cardiovascular facilities.
- And our all-volunteer Mercy Outreach Surgical Team (MOST) helped change the lives of more than 700 children who have no access to medical care.
This year, more than 2,200 supporters celebrated with us at our six signature fundraising galas and events: Candlelight Ball, Mercy Ball, Spinoff, Scripps Clinic Invitational Golf Tournament and Dinner, Coastchella and MOST Mariachi Festival.
Together, they raised $2.8 million to help support key Scripps initiatives – from cancer patient support services to emergency and trauma care, primary care, lifesaving equipment and more.
In 2017, Scripps was named #1 health system in San Diego and ranked among the nation’s best hospitals by U.S. News and World Report in eight specialties, including Cardiology and Heart Surgery, Orthopedics, Pulmonology, Gynecology, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Gastroenterology and GI surgery, Nephrology, and Geriatrics.*
*Scripps Clinic, Scripps Green Hospital and Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla.
We have set a bold vision for how Scripps can better serve the community today and for years to come. Your support can help make that vision a reality.
John B. Engle, Corporate Senior Vice President, Scripps Health
Your Gift Could Help Support Programs and Initiatives like:
Emergency and Trauma Services
Scripps provides emergency and trauma care to tens of thousands each year. Help us expand our services and deliver the latest technologies to keep pace with our fast-growing communities in San Diego.
Cancer Care Navigators
Help cancer patients cope with the clinical, emotional and practical realities of a complex, chronic or long-term illness.